Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cozy Coasters!

It's Sunday again! Yea! That means it is time for the Magnolia Vs. Stampavie Challenge! And this week is a fun and practical challenge!





To make a gift - a handmade gift, using any Magnolia or Stampavie image. Perhaps you want to send more than a just a thank you card to somebody? Or possibly have a last minute Christmas gift to give to somebody who you haven’t seen yet? A birthday coming up? Any gift.









Well me, I knew just what I was going to make. I taught a class first part of Christmas for these as Christmas Gifts. I thought this would be perfect for the challenge today as well... but oops I gave all the class samples as gifts and forgot to take photographs. So I just had to make up one more, I think I am going to keep this one as my own. As the gifts it works out really cute to get mugs or cups of solid color I put hot cocoa and candy in them, sit on top of the tile and then wrap with cellophane and bows. Cute gift for any occasion. ( I didn't photo with the cellophane for two reasons - one hard to photo to show what is in the wrapping and two... well I was out LOL)






Ok... enough prep talk - here is my project.






A stamped tile coaster. I saw so many of these online and wanted to give it a go myself, I read lots of different blogs and instructions and this is how I ended up making mine.






Start with a tumbled tile - Very important... must be a raw tumbled tile. First tile I tried one of those sealed bathroom tiles, the cheaper ones. No go and wasted the tile. Then I clean the tiles to make sure there is no stone dust on them, and let them dry. Stamp with Staz-On. (I stamped mine with Sarah Kay's Best Friends Forever, and Heidi Grace Flower flourishes, and a Forever Friends sentiment) Any color it just needs to be Staz-On brand... really stays put and doesn't bleed on the tile. Now some put in the oven to heat set, I am to lazy for this and I just run my Heat Gun on it for a while. Until hot to the touch is usually fine. I color with pencils and mineral spirits to blend. Then I use Modge Podge to seal. The first coat I put on super thin coat and let it dry for at least 20-30 minutes. Then I put 2 or 3 more thin coats on letting them dry in between. I found by trial and error that the thin coats really dry in between make it seal even better, if the coats are too thick the create air bubbles and don't dry properly, this creates peeling later. I have used one of my coasters for almost 2 years daily... hot and cold and never had any bleeding or peeling.



For the bottom of the tile to protect your table or desk. My favorite is to use solid cork, you can buy it by the roll and I just cut a 3.5 X 3.5 inch square and usually it is self adhesive. Done. You can also use circles, felt, or even that craft foam.



I hope you liked my "gift" and try to make some yourself, they are a lot of fun and people really seem to love them. Next month I will be teaching a class to make photo tile coasters. That should be fun.



Well off to Sunday breakfast, and then we are having some friends come out for the afternoon. Should be fun, they haven't seen any of the babies... what could be more fun than seeing baby donkeys and good friends!


Hope you have a great Sunday planned as well, and please do try and take part in this weeks Magnolia Vs. Stampavie Challenge!


HUGS and -

16 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh these are beautiful and what great little gifts. Loved the Donkey pic yesterday and that Irene how could you resist that face. Sue :o)

Sally said...

These are beautiful. You have inspired me to give them a try. this week will have to hit the Home Depot!

jacque4u2c said...

These are just awesome! What a special thing to do for someone, or for youerself. Juat beautiful!

V Colbourne said...

Wow! What a fantastic gift. I've never seen these done before. Just gorgeous!

Ila said...

These coasters are Gorgeous!!..and what lovely gift!!....Have a Wonderful Sunday!!...Hugs, Ila

Dawn said...

what a brilliant idea - it's a great image!

ribenaruby said...

Never seen these before,great gift!

Nikki Fairbairn said...

Oh so beautiful Michelle and love the pretty tile and a wonderful gift idea. Love the pretty stamping round the image and cute sentiment, Hugs, Nikki x

retiredheather said...

What a great gift. Love the coaster. I must get this challenge done.
Hugs
Heather

Chris (catt871) said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!! Such a great gift!!!!

Tina said...

Michelle these are just stunning, and are beautiful gifts.. Crafty hugs Tina x

Kelly Schelske said...

These are absolutely beautiful!! My sister made me some with beach picts of my kiddos, but stamping...how fun!! great job Michelle!!

Karin said...

Beautifull coasters. Great idea for a gift.
The girls and I loved the new donkey pictures from yesterday.

Have a great day,
xoxo Karin

Helen said...

These are fab! What great gifts!
Helen x

Annie said...

love your tile coasters Michelle - and such a cute Sarah Kay image as well as a great text. hugs, annie x

Sharon said...

Hmm I missed this post. What a great idea!! Customised coasters. Now I've gotta find a "tumbled" tile.