Sunday, October 16, 2011

Family - My Aunt's 80th Birthday

Yesterday we went to a celebration. A fabulous celebration, My Aunt's 80th Birthday. It was a wonderful time seeing family and meeting family we haven't seen in FAR too long, in the large church we all attended as a family when I was very young. My Aunt still attends there. And my Aunt - she is an inspiration, just as beautiful as always. When I was little I use to think she was perfect, she was and is always dressed beautifully, never a hair out of place, gorgeous  - and a voice of an angel. I don't remember a lot about attending the "big fancy church" when I was little... sleeping on the pews between my Mom and Dad, how large the place was.. and blue... everything was blue.... and I remember my Aunt's singing. I was a good kid in church most of the time, but when my Aunt sang with the choir .... I would sit motionless. It was fabulous yesterday as we were all standing around talking and remember... My Aunt and her friends gathered at the piano and started to sing. Same  angelic voice, gorgeous. And just fabulous to hear them all in harmony.  As I got a little older maybe 5 or 6... my family started going to a closer church.. a much smaller church - no blue there. It was all orange and brown. Funny the things we remember as little kids huh?

As Hubby and I set off for the celebration yesterday, we were as always flying out the door trying to gather things and make it on time. Half way there... I realized I forgot to take a photo of the card!! I spent two nights on it, and wanted to share it with you!!  Well Hubby and my Mom took it in their hands and towards the end of the party, they tracked down the card, and my Aunt so I could get a photo of her opening it. Now that is something that we don't see much - and that is why we make all these cards right? To see happiness they bring? Here is my Aunt just after she opened her card -
 Now my close up of my card... well It isn't my usual with my fancy camera, lights and white back ground. This ...I think came out pretty darn good considering I took it on a party table with my phone! :0)
Just a few details... One of my all time favorite Sarah Kay images from Stampavie "Noel Joy" - she doesn't have to be used just for Christmas you know - Webster Pages papers I think... sorry can't remember for sure - The mat is a Heritage Creations Die - The pink lace die is from My Favorite Things, Prima Marketing Flowers and of course I sewed things together.
I did the inside too :0) The sentiments are from Papertrey Ink - Inside and Out Birthday set.

It really was wonderful to see so many from the family. We promised to not let it be so long until we all get together again. We had talked about a family gathering here and so they could meet our furry children (can't take them to a church gathering you know.. LOL ) Anyway were were going to get together last fall... some ding dong poked her eye out and really wasn't up to it then. But She is now! So we are going to try and have a family Texas BBQ here in the coming year - have everyone out. Things like that are tough to plan here in Texas - have to make sure it isn't too hot... cooler weather, but then not cold and wet either. Tough... especially since we would have to have most of it outside... my house... not big enough for my entire family to visit at once ! LOL Heck it fills up just when my immediate family of my Mom and Sister come with all their family... small house... larger Craft room - Priorities you know... What do I need a large Living Room For? Craft Space... that is where my time is spent.

OK... I am running SOOO late now for our locals breakfast gathering. Any minute now Hubby is going to come in and give me that look - you know the one "You aren't ready yet???" Nope still sitting here in my Eeyore PJs... better run! Have a beautiful Sunday!

HUGS and -

9 comments:

Dee in N.H. said...

Great post Michelle! Isn't it funny the things we remember? Our church was red! Gorgeous card and great shared memories! Have an awesome day!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Oh this card is so adorable and she obviously loved it!

Anonymous said...

Texas Cropper said...

Lovely card,great memories and story. You need to scrapbook this post.

Kirsten Alicia said...

Such a gorgeous card. A very happy birthday to your aunt.

Cards By MI said...

Such lovely stories. You know you have the perfect diary here on your blog. Love reading it.
Love n hugs
Marie

Helen said...

what a great story. Love your card and hope you can arrange something nice for the whole family in the coming year. Hugs.

Karen McAlpine said...

Well, the "ding dong" can still make a drop dead gorgeous card. Happy birthday to Auntie! Great reminiscences.

Carol Dee said...

Oh Michelle I think you are a stitch. :) Your Aunt is a lovely lady. The card looked perfect for her. I bet everyone is looking forwardto a fun day on the Animal Farm! Enjoy your Sunday, hugs...

Hobby Musician Keyboard said...

Dear Michelle, how creative and so beautifully done! I'll be watching this blog closely, thank you for giving us so much of your time and mind. You make so wonderful and lovely works! I enjoyed the visit on your site. Many thanks for your beautiful inspirations!! Please take a look on my Blogspot.
Hugs from Marina.