Saturday, September 21, 2013

Animal Crackers - The Sky is Falling!

Howdy

Well this week we have been blessed with some really fabulous RAIN! Yep.. really great Rain! I went out to check on my chickens yesterday afternoon... (I'll share why I have been a little on edge with them a bit later...) Anyway I went out to make sure they were good, there was more rain coming and actually it hit just after I got out into their Coop.

My reds are not rocket scientist... Hubby keeps reminding me they have "Pea Size Brains" But these ding-a-lings stand out in the pooring rain. They were soaked. They were really screaming out yesterday and all though they talk alot and yell out I have just been on edge. So I went out and took them their late afternoon veggies, and planned to gather the eggs.... took my camera to snap a few wet chickens for you ...


They LOVE frozen mixed veggies... all though it wasn't the normal hot due to the rain, but they still enjoy them. So even in the mud they were happy scratching around, clucking and pecking up their green beans, corn, peas and carrots. 


When I was heading back in I realized that all the goats were hiding from the rain. We do all know that they will melt if they get a drop of rain right? They think so.. But the Guineas... they were out screaming at the top of their lungs. Like the SKY WAS FALLING...DANGER DANGER!! I told them all was ok and to get under cover.. As I headed towards to porch I told Hubby " Those stupid birds are all out getting soaked in the rain! They are idiots! ".... He looked at me and laughed. Then he said... "Uh you really need to look in a mirror Dear, you are soaked... and you were out talking to birds in the rain... " Guess he was right.. LOL


Now I know you are all probably wondering why I have been on edge with my girls.... I know this is beginning to sound like a broken record... but earlier in the week I went out to gather the eggs, opened up the coop door started to poke my head in to check out each nest and get my eggs... when I saw this.....


It is a VERY good thing that I have been lectured a million times from Hubby to look before I reach in!! I saw about three inches of this slithering in one of the nesting boxes. In all he measures up to over 4 feet long!! I ran back into the house and yelled for Hubby to get outside NOW!  It took us a few minutes to get him out of the nest, we were not sure what kind of snake he was. Not a normal Bull Snake and Not a Rattler... So we decided that if we knew it was a Bull Snake we probably wouldn't have killed him. As they do eat bad things... But then after a "debate" we agreed that whether or not he was poisonous he now knows where the eggs are, and will make it a regular meal. So he needed to "be taken care of" Especially since we didn't know what kind he was. So he no longer lives.  I am ok with it... and the chickens are really ok with it - as they were VERY upset. Maybe that is why they have been short on laying eggs the past week? Do you think I have been reaching in and he has been in there for a week??? Oh I hope not.  We now know he is a Texas Rat Snake. Not a "Bad" Snake... unless you are in my chicken hut!  

Now I am even more cautious! 

How about some pretty cute photos now... 

 As I was out yesterday I had a talk with Miss Libbie... Little Missy does not like to go out into the yard when it is wet. So she will head out and stop on the edge of the porch and sit down. Now I know she need to do her business... but it is like pulling teeth to get her down the steps. I knew she had not gone out so I was talking to her and this is the response I was getting.....


Totally ignoring me!!! Completely!! I raised my voice a little and said "Libbie look at me and pay attention to Momma!" and I am not kidding this is what I got when she turned her head towards me!


I have no words... LOL

I found a photo from last week I wanted to share - with you Anna Belle "Bella"



Having a issue with this gal right now....  We have her boy penned off with the boys. Long over due but he has been there for a few weeks now. Most Mom's will be sad for a few days - cry out for their babies maybe... but they usually after a week forget and move on --- Bella is really causing us a little stress. I think we may have to create a special pen for her if she won't let go of her boy. She won't leave that side of the pasture. She stands near the fences Rain or Shine - won't leave hardly at all. We finally got her to follow us across the pasture for a little while, she grazed with the other ladies that day. I felt much better... next day - she was right back over near her boy all alone. I think we may just harness her up and bring her up to the house in a small pen. Do a little spoiling, TLC and take her mind off things....

So what is your weekend plans?

With so much rain, and more predicted for this morning, we are going to stick around here. A little clean up and house and farm chores are needed. Would love to just get in the Jeep and take off for a day trip... but sigh... oh well.

Hope you have some fun planned!
Have a great day!
HUGS and

7 comments:

Auntie Em said...

Your animals are the luckiest farm pets in the world!
I am not a big fan of snakes and especially not anywhere where I might have to be. At least the pea brained chicks knew he was trouble. lol At least we won't melt in the rain. Turkeys will apparently drown in it though. Talk about small brains!
Thanks for sharing your stories. :)

Auntie Em said...

Oh, and BTW, I am thinking your Libbie is a teenager. I have seen that look before! hahaha!

Marilyn said...

I love those pics of Libbie... what a cheeky pup! Very funny.
The snake is not funny...

Linda w said...

Thank you for your weekly animal crackers. It always starts my weekend smiling. Your photos are priceless.

gettin' inky...

Carol Dee said...

Another snake. Glad it was not poisenous. What a scare to find it in the nest box.
Naughty miss Libby. Looks like your typical teen~ hugs

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the photos of Libbie, they're so funny. the photos of the wet chickens are great - haven't they got big?? So pleased you found the snake. Okay, it wasn't poisonous, but the chickens wouldn't know that & they be so stressed by its presence. Glad you're having some rain. Have a great weekend.

PaperSunshine said...

I have to laugh about Libbie, my long haired chihuahua Chloe reminds me of her so much! She wont get those precious feet wet either, the princess has much disdain! However the tongue, LOL that takes the cake :)

Your birds crack me up too, I am learning a lot about those critters. Interesting how all your different animals react to the rain ummm, differently! Good luck to your momma gal, I hope she gets over her boy :)